Yosakoi (よさこい) is a unique style of dance that originated in Japan. Yosakoi started in the city of Kōchi in 1954, as a modern rendition of Awa Odori, a traditional summer dance. Yosakoi-style dancing has spread throughout much of Japan. The style of dance is highly energetic, combining traditional Japanese dance movements with modern music.
But if you ask me, I say that it's a combination of Bon dance and Karate! So many times while dancing I recognize the nearly identical movements I've learned in Karate. Of course, in Yosakoi, you gotta do 'em bigger and with a great big smile!... the more exaggerated, the better!
Every year in October, Sasebo hosts a big Yosakoi Festival (matsuri). This year, 158 teams from all over Japan (even as far as Hokkaido) came to compete/perform at this event.
So this year, instead of being a spectator, I got to be spectated! (is that even a word?)
Over the year, even if I was a newbie, I got to perform all over Kyushu. But when I watched my debut dance on video I totally cringed. I really stuck out -not just because I'm freakin' huge, but moreso because my movement lacked the amout of flavor my senior team mates showcased!
In June, we started learning the dance that we were going to use compete in the big Matsuri. I was determined to do my best and brew the "flavor" I admired so much. I soon realized that I DO have to put extra effort BECAUSE I am gojira.
As one of the tallest members of my team, all my low movements had to be modified to EXTRA low to align with the shawties in the front. It was pretty hard, but I wasn't about to slack off and let my team down!
Originally, we practiced once a week, but as soon as August came, it increased to twice a week,... then three times,.. then, on the final week, we practiced everyday. Weeks and weeks of sweat, blisters and body aches, and here we finally were, at the big event.
The event spanned over 3 days. We were scheduled to dance 21 times this weekend. Within these 21 dances, the 9th one was the doozie -it was the one to be judged.
The Matsuri was crazy. So many people came out to watch! Even tho we danced all over Sasebo, Nakiri park was where the main event was focused. And I remember standing and lookin at that stage before our first dance that Friday and feeling so unreal. I couldn't believe that I was going to be a part of this..AND with the awesomest team on the planet! ;)
The weather was nice and sunny so we sweated a LOT. The first 8 dances were wearing us down a bit but we knew we had to muster all our strength for the next dance cause that was the BIG one. We were all pretty quiet as we walked over to the judges' gymnasium. It was pretty intimidating. A huge gym with a stage. A long table spanned the entire stage with 10 judges sitting behind it. They all looked so serious!...and here we were with big smiles on our faces hoping they couldn't see thru them.
It started terribly. The music bounced around this huge gymnasium causing it to echo and it threw off our timing. Thankfully, within the first 3 seconds (which felt like forever), we got it together and finished strong.

After that it was all fun and games and we danced with reckless abandon and laughed it off when we made mistakes.
On Sunday it was the same thing, we focused our dance around high energy and fun rather than technique and perfection...the judging was over so now it was just time to make most of the event. But right around 3 p.m. we got anxious. At 3:30 the judges were scheduled to send each team leader a text msg list of 20 teams that made it to the finals. We sat quietly and hoped for the best.
It was now 3:30
and no text message. Then it was 3:40...still no message. Our next dance was scheduled at 4 and we all started to get antsy. Mako-chan started saying (in japanese) "Oh man, if we DON'T make it to the finals I'm going to cry!" then one of the kids asked her what she would do if we DID make it to the finals and she replied "Oh I will cry if we DO make it to the finals!" ..Whaaaat?! So with my limited japanese speakies, how am I supposed to know if we made it?!Then the text message came and Tottchan read it carefully. We all gathered tightly around him, waiting for him to give u the news. He then started with the words: "Gomenasai minna (I'm sorry everyone)...[insert a bunch of big japanese words]..."
Mako cried out and threw her face in Maiko's arms. Oh man...soooo we didn't make it?
I looked around and a bunch of other girls were crying...dammit.
Then Yui-chan tapped me on the shoulder with teary eyes, smiling and said "Yokkatta ne! Fainaru haita! (Isn't it great? We're in the finals!)"
EEEEEEEEE!!!! So what the heck's everyone cryin' for?! Right then it occurred to me how hard everyone worked for and how bad they all wanted this. That's when MY eyes started to water. Oh my gawd,.. I'm crying.
Now we are back in game mode and we want to win this! Apparently the word spread quick cause by our 4 o'clock performance, the announcer knew what was up and introduced us as one of the finalists!
After that we are summoned to Nakiri park to dance in the finals. We line up with 19 other teams. Although there are about 14 teams in front of us, the line moves quickly and next thing we know, we're two teams away! And then it starts raining. The dance floor starts to shimmer, reflecting the stage lights...uh oh, wet stage =Bad. Then we are up. If there was a time to go fo' broke, this was it. I danced till my limbs caught fire, shouted till my voice cracked and smiled till my lips fused on to my teeth -so sexy! ...and then it was over. It was all up to the judges now...
Okay, I'll skip the sus
Speaking of merry, hope u all have a festive Thanksgiving!
Thanks for readin'!
Much aRoha
-Me
2 comments:
Would be great if you posted a video!!!
Btw, happy belated birthday wishes. Sorry I missed it.
Thanks man!
Yah, people have been askin for a vid... I'm still tryin' to figure out how! Daniel loaded up this new software to convert big vids to youtube size so we'll see how that goes!
Post a Comment