Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Is it summer already? Sure feels like it.

Howdy!


Alas, the hot days have arrived. Yesterday it hit the high 80's. Nasty humidity. I was out playin' with the kids -trying to move as LITTLE as possible... but still broke out a sweat! ewww. And tho I have grown to adore these kids, man, they sure get stinky after a hot day!

This past weekend was perfect tho -bright out, but nice and breezy. We went kayaking again. The breeze was good and bad. Good for the obvious reason of not dying from the heat, but bad because we had to fight against it to get to where we wanted to go! We paddled to a little island where you can camp. It was BEAUUUUUUUTIFUL! They even had a bathroom!... and someone was nice enough to leave a nice hibachi there too :) Oddly, no one else was there, so we felt like castaways. We joked about the "LOST" monster sneaking up on us as we ate our musubis and drank our Aquarius (japanese energy drink). Here's our view:



The camera's software didn't do such a good job of seamless photostiching, but you get the idea!

On the beach, there were lots of baby crabs scurrying about -digging little holes, evading the mellow tide.. I caught a really tiny one...cupped it in my hand, and ran over to show daniel -who was snacking on Pretz- in the semi-grassy area. He said "cute." And instead of putting it back where I found it (like we are all taught to do), I set it free right in front of me. But what happened next,no one could expect! As soon as that little crab hit the ground, a bug, shaped SORTA like a tick (except not as bulbus -and it had patterns on it's back) attacked it! It was a little smaller than the crab's body (sans the legs). It mounted the crab and looked like it was putting it's feelers (or whatever they were) between the gaps of the crab's shell! The crab went crazy, flipping over and spinning around, trying to get it off. It was horrifying!... but oh so fascinating! This was some crazy National Geographic s#it! But then the guilt set in, and I felt really bad for the crab (after all, it was MY fault the crab was even THERE to begin with!) so I got a small stick and separated them. But it was too late. It was curtains for the crab...and the weird bug high-tailed it outta there. To make matters worse, Daniel thinks my "stick maneuver" actually killed the crab :( I felt really bad.

On the way back, fatigue started to set in. My shoulders and arms were pretty had-it. When we hit a big area of deep aqua ocean, Daniel suddenly said, "woah..." I stopped paddling and asked him what was up. He quickly responded, "uh,..Don't stop paddling until we get close to another island..." EEEK! What did he see?!?!?! my mind was racing. Was it a shark? A scene of JAWS popped in my head. Oh gawd Oh gawd.... I forgot all about my tired arms and hit my second wind. "Just look straight ahead maggie!" I kept telling myself. I finally slowed down when we reached shallower waters where I could actually SEE the bottom! I still dont know if Daniel was just messin' with my head to motivate me to keep paddling... damn that guy.

Here's a map of our course:











Moving on...

Guess what? I got the marketing job! yay! I start tomorrow. But I gotta tell you how I found out! So my boss, Tina brings out thnext week's schedule for Ms Ruth (our lead) to review. I casually take a peek and notice I have NO hours next week! What the?! I ask Ms Ruth what was up with that, and she tells me. "Uhhh, maybe you should talk to Tina.." Were they planning to let me go? Confident that I didn't do anything wrong, I casually asked Tina. She responds with: "Aww man! you saw the schedule?! um.. yah, expect a call from marketing...you got the job, try to act surprised when they tell you okay?" Apparently Alisson (my future boss) and Tina are pretty tight -they have been discussing me ever since I applied to that job! So much for being discreet! Alisson wants me to start right away, and Tina isn't ready to let me go -so they compromised. I'll be working both places in the next week. Mornings in marketing, and affernoons at the youth center.

I'm really gonna miss the kids and my coworkers :(

Of course, I'm SUPER stoked about my new job :)

Anywho, that'd be it for this post! Oh, oh! and I'm taking scuba classes for the next 2 weekends! They say the waters here are a lot like Hawaii -lots of tropical fish! wish me luck!

Have a great week folks!

No comments: