Thursday, June 19, 2008

Working with Grown-Ups

Hullo tharr Misters and Missies!

Well golly gee folks, things have been just plain crazy 'round here in these parts!

Just lookit what I've been up to:

I got me certified to breathe with the fishies...on their.. um..."turf" I guess you could say? Yes, 4 days (2 whole weekends) of intense training! Nah, it was actually pretty fun! But there WERE some parts that were pretty: ugh-I-don't-wan't-to-do-THAT-again!
The cool thing was, the scuba-sensei (who is an american -for those of you may have wondered...) said that our group was his rockstar class. He said we catch-on super fast! yay us! The first day was pretty shitty tho. We had this one lady in our class (about my age) who was a total downer. It's not because she just couldn't get things as quickly as the rest of the class -but it was the fact that she complained CONSTANTLY! She couldn't do the mask-off, mask-on underwater thing and kept sucking pool water up her nose. (We all know how much THAT hurts!) But after maybe her 3rd attempt, she decided to take a break and sit on the side to calm down. The whole time she sat there, she kept saying she was a retard and making all these random excuses. So I sat next to her and tried to encourage her. After all, I somehow ended up being her scuba buddy (that was a big mistake). I suggested she just try to relax and I told her that I understood how frustrated she must feel. I even told her nobody minded waiting for her, I mean we're a team right? (I know I would probably feel small-kine shame for making the rest of the class wait for me!)...Then she turned to me with her eyes rolling and said, "Uh, yah,..look...I know what you're trying to do, but you're SO full of it!"

Ooooookay! bizatch. :\

Nah nah. just kidding.... sorta ;) Of course, after that snippy remark, I decided to leave her to her misery.

After another unsuccesful attempt, she had completely given up and quit the class.

So then I got a new buddy -Doug. He was kinda on the quiet side, but 100x better than my last buddy!

From the 2nd day on, we whizzed thru the next 3 classes and ended about an hour early on each day :) One of the many cool things about scuba class was that there was a fellow Hawaii guy innit! Cheehu! He was SUPER nice too! Every morning he brought starbucks coffee for everyone and everyday he took pictures of us in training. Then he'd email them to all of us by the end of the day! We plan to all go scuba-ing as soon as the weather clears up. Right now it's been raining non-stop for the past 3 days. They say it will keep raining for the next 3 days (maybe longer!)! People say that in Sasebo, it's pretty typical for it to rain for an entire month during the summer! It's also muggy as heck. bleh.

Anywho, here's a couple of scuba shots:



On the left is Doug holding the jelly I gave him. We all had fun with that poor little thing! On the right is me, trying to walk on the pool floor :)

Anywho, I better move on to the next subject -lots of things to cover!

So if you haven't heard, I got the job in marketing! Hooray!

But first, I need to tell you about my last days at the youth center!

I gotta say, it was tough. I really grew attached to those kids! :( But as my parting gifts, I decorated a door and a wall in the center. The wall took me two nights to put together. Halfway thru, I was pretty unhappy about the way it was turning out: The paints weren't opaque enough, the paper that was lining the wall wrinked as I painted, and my jungle concept really just wasn't working out... but hey, I couldn't just stop right there and forget the whole thing right?

This is how they both turned out:


On the last day, the kids surprised me with cards they made in the craft area. They were so cute! They were made with contruction paper, markers, and whatever else they could get their hands on! One kid, Jimmy, actually made me an orange-and-blue contruction-paper camera! Okay, I couldn't really tell it was a camera -he had to tell me! ;) The messages inside each card were adorabe! "Miss Maggie, I like you! I hope you have fun at your new work." "I will miss you Miss Maggie! You are my favorite staff" One kid, Jordan, drew a picture of me holding a suitcase and leaving a bunch of sad kids... it made me chuckle. I asked him, "Haccome I have a suitcase?" and he burst out laughing ,saying, "Oh yeeaaah! Miss Maggie, you don't have a suitcase!" (as if I was the one who drew the picture!) So silly :) But after I collected what looked like a big 'ol pile of colorful scrap paper, I felt a little watery wiggle in my eyes :~( ...It was close! but I didn't cry. On the last night, I made ice cream sundaes for 2 of my co's and I, and we talked-story till about 11 p.m. Man, I'm sure gonna miss them too!

Onward to my new job! I started my full-time posish this past monday. Lucky for me, they were in full swing working on their next bi-monthly Showcase magazine. Allison, my boss is REALLY cool. In the beginning I was a bit apprehensive/worried because she is so strong minded and set in her ways, but lo and behold, by tuesday, she was asking me for my opinion on layout design and actually taking my advice! woah. Consider my mind blown. The magazine production process went smoothly and was sent to the presses right on time. I'd like to think that I helped make that happen :) also, in my humble opinion, I'd say it's the best looking one yet! ;D I also got to design ads and posters -pretty much the way I wanted- and helped put together the big employee party!

The party was pretty darn impressive. They had it at the ballroom on base. All the tables were laid out and decorated REALLY classy-cool like. The theme was Rock-n-Roll. They had rock music playing, prizes, and free food and BOOZE! As soon as we settled in, Daniel had a whole pitcher of beer handed to him! His comment on that: "I love this party!" And they had the awesomest game evar. A DDR competition! Imagine watching grown-ups jumpin' around on those dance pads!...fun right?! (the party was for peeps 18+ only). On that same token, it was no surprise to me that the DDR champions were the ones who work at the pre-teen/teen centers!
Then we had the prize drawings. There were some great prizes. It looked like everyone was winning something -except us. It came down to two prizes: a Japanese Doll in a glass case (which we crossed our fingers -hoping we WOULDN'T win it!...thankfully, we didn't. -whew! heehee) and a purty white vase with a simple, elegant painting of Mt. Fuji onnit. Daniel REALLY wanted that one. I did too. So I focused all my concentration on it. I imagined them puling a name out of the box...

But alas, some other lady won it. Waaaaah. :(

Then there was a surprise drawing -the grand prize! And you can guess what happened: They called my name!
WHAT?! Fo' REALS?! AWESOME!!!
The prize was a giant grill....Every carnivore's DREAM! Holy shishkabob. I stood up, took many-a-bow and gleefully skipped to the front stage. They now have a picture of me hugging the giant box. Then, after the euphoria subsided, we realized that this fantastic grill was just too big for our apartment! I suggested to daniel that maybe we should let someone else win it. To which he responded with, "NO WAY!! That thing is OURS!!!" ...sheesh!

The thing just barely fit in the back of our Wagon R. He returned it the next day -and got us a gift card :)

And now we reach last night! John, Megan's hubby (both buddies from Hawaii) is in Sasebo for the next couple of days. So we met up with him and took him out to our favorite bar: Yakkyu Gushi. MAN did he stick out! But the folks at Yakkyu Gushi took him in with open arms :) We all had SOOOO much fun! John is such a good sport. In the spirit of learning the language, he pretty much repeated EVERYTHING we told him to say! Two local regulars met up with us and things got even sillier. They actually could speak a pretty good amount of english, so they taught John some silly slang phrases to tell the owner, bartenders and random patrons. It was TOO FUNNY. By the end of the night, John had made friends with nearly everyone there -but thoroughly forgot ALL their names ;D

Today we had a BBQ/potluck at the house. We invited a bunch of Daniel's co-workers and their families. Good times. We played Wario Smooth Moves, Wii Play and Rock Band. Oh and one made Thai Curry! I've been craving it ever since I had it in New York! I was in heaven! Next time I'm inviting MY co's (new and old) over for a BBQ!

Whooooweee, well folks, that's it for me!
Thanks for stoppin by! but mainly, you stay classy...!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'd like to see a copy of Showcase if you have any extra one. The name is fantastic, it sounds like a magazine for retired seniors living in Florida, (I'm mean that in the best possible way ;). I'm imagining cruise ship advertisements, bingo night fliers, and 2 for 1 coupons at the local buffet. Please do not disappoint, please.

furNclaws said...

oh yes. let's not forget "casino thursdays" at the lodge... ;D

I will surely save u a copy :)